What is an Inverter?
Inverter literally means converter and is also known by other names such as drive, motor speed control or VFD. This equipment converts the level and frequency of the generated voltage to the desired level and voltage through the amplifier and then supplies the AC power output with the voltage and frequency required by the consumer. In fact the inverter converts direct current or DC into alternating current or AC and then provides it to the user.
The input of inverters can be single phase or three phase, but in any case, its output will be three phase. Also inverters with a power of more than 3 horsepower must be designed with a three-phase input. Due to the use of fixed and non-moving parts in the structure of the inverter, they can be used in many cases, such as computer power supplies to renewable energy industries.
What is Industrial Automation?
How an Inverter works?
The wave created by the inverter is a square wave in scientific terms, and with the help of filters such as capacitors and inductors, it becomes a sine wave. The common use of the inverter is to convert direct electricity produced by solar panels and batteries into alternating current and use it in the required devices. Inverters do the opposite of what rectifiers do, they slow down the motor without reducing its power and torque.
For this reason, they are considered high power electronic oscillators. The capacity of inverters is also different from each other. For example a 20 HP inverter is used for a 20 HP motor. To better understand the issue, imagine a hotel where the pattern of water consumption is different at different hours.
You can get in touch with Sepyani Industrial Group consultants in order to get the right inverter for your business activity, as well as to use consulting and start up your production line. This group, with a brilliant work history of nearly two decades, provides industrial automation services and consulting and setting up production lines inside and outside the country. In the following, we discuss the types of inverters, their uses and other important points in this regard. So if you want to learn more about inverters, stay with us until the end.
Classification of inverters based on the output wave:
It was said earlier that inverters are divided into one phase and three phase in terms of power input. Next it should be said that they are divided into four different groups in terms of the output waveform. these groups:
- The output is in the form of a square wave
- The output is in the form of a sine wave
- The output is rectified as a sine wave
- The output is pure sine wave
In what projects is the inverter used?
The inverter is used to control the engine speed and start it in different industrial parts. In fact, inverters have a special place in industrial machines. Some of these projects include the following:
- Projects related to industrial fans such as furnace and greenhouse fans and tunnel and cooling tower fans
- Projects related to industrial pumps and construction pumps
- Projects related to water supply systems related to booster pumps
- Elevators and blowers
- Spindle motor projects for wood and milling machines
- The use of inverters in overhead cranes and heavy tower cranes
- Use of inverter in conveyor belt
- Projects related to printing industry machines
- Projects using solar panels
- Multi-store parking lots
- Projects related to industrial plastic injection machines
- Projects requiring power supply and emergency sources of electricity and induction heaters
- Electric drives in vehicles
Application and performance of inverter:
1. Application in vehicle drives:
In electric cars and electric vehicles such as electric trains, the inverter is used to control the traction power of the motor. The use of inverters in electric vehicles has greatly contributed to the advancement of their technology. Also, in vehicles that have regenerative braking, the inverter stores its energy received from the engine in the battery.
2. Used in solar panels:
Due to the fact that solar panels have direct or DC output, inverters are used in waves so that their power can be changed alternately and can be used in electrical appliances.
3. Application in power sources:
In power sources such as fuel cells, inverters do the job of converting direct current to alternating current.
4. Application in induction heaters:
Inverters increase the frequency of the main electricity and can be used in induction heaters. For this purpose, the main electricity is converted to DC and then to AC electricity with high frequency through an inverter.
5. Application in HVDC energy transmission:
In this method, to transmit energy over long distances and with very low loss, alternating current must be converted into direct current and at the destination through an inverter, it must be converted back into alternating current so that it can be used by users.
How does the inverter help reduce electricity consumption?
Reducing energy consumption is considered one of the main concerns both in the household sector and in the industry. About 65% of the energy used in industries is electrical energy. Industrial electricity is one of the main foundations of many industries and its lack can cause many problems in the field of industrial automation and the continuation of factories.
Also, the number and amount of use of electrical appliances in homes is increasing every day. For this reason, all activists in this field are trying to provide solutions to reduce electricity consumption. Using an inverter not only helps to reduce consumption, but also usually increases the efficiency of the motor in these appliances. But how do inverters help to reduce electricity consumption:
How the inverter works to reduce electricity consumption:
- The load entered into the motor is intelligently recognized by the inverter and the current enters the motor according to the load entered. The amount of current entering the motor in this way is often lower than the rated current of the motor. For this reason, the motor runs as much current as it consumes, and this will reduce electricity consumption.
- Induction motors used in factories use reactive load, which is accompanied by heavy fines from the electricity department. The capacitor bank used in inverters compensates the reactive load of the motor and there is no need to use an external capacitor bank. In fact, by using an inverter, the motor will receive this load through the inverter and the power grid instead of using the reactive load from the national electricity.
- In many cases, a lot of energy is needed to start the machines, and this makes us buy engines with higher power. The amount of flow by these motors will also be high during operation. But using an inverter will increase the required current intelligently and automatically during start-up and then decrease again according to the required amount. This helps a lot in reducing electricity consumption.
- Another problem that arises during the production line launch. It draws a lot of current when starting the engine. This issue ends with a significant reduction in voltage and causes problems and damages in other appliances. Using an inverter will reduce this extra current as much as possible. In addition to reducing consumption, this also increases the lifespan of devices.
What are the benefits of using an inverter in industry?
1. Increasing productivity
The use of drives in the industry makes both high-power and uninterrupted power supply available. This issue increases the productivity of industries and makes them more profitable.
2. Prevent system shutdown
When the current source is damaged and disrupted, the devices stop working. Shutdown of the devices brings a lot of financial losses. Using the right drive will prevent this problem. Also, to install and set up a suitable drive for your activity, you can get in touch with Sepyani Industrial Group and benefit from the services of these specialists in various fields such as PLC industrial automation and consulting and setting up the production line.
3. The possibility of replacing parts during operation
The need to replace some parts in industrial activities is inevitable. Using an inverter makes it possible to change the parts without turning off the machine and you can change the problem parts while working. This issue itself will greatly help to increase the efficiency and productivity of the system.
4. Equipment protection
One of the things that cause damage to electrical equipment is the current and voltage fluctuations in the system. The use of the drive makes it possible to prevent the damage due to this reason by automatically controlling the flow.
Siemens industrial automation is one of the most well-known brands in the field of industrial automation products. In the rest of the article, we discuss the advantages of using inverters in the industry.
Single phase to three phase inverter
Drives that have the ability to run three-phase electric motors through single-phase electricity are called single-phase to three-phase drives. This type of inverter is often used in workshops and industries that do not have access to three-phase electricity. The most common use of this type of drives is in domestic pumps.
Because homes generally do not have access to three-phase electricity. The advantages of these types of drives are their ability to run three-phase motors up to 4 watts. Also, the reduction of output noise is another advantage of this type of drives. This advantage is very practical and useful in home pumps that often complain about their sound.
The price of industrial drives depends on what factors?
Things such as single-phase or three-phase inverter and whether it is used in heavy or light applications, as well as the kilowatt of the inverter, have an effect on its pricing. Of course, which brand you buy the drive from will also affect the final price. But the important point in this is that before paying attention to the price of the inverter, you must ensure its quality and efficiency.
Because if the drive has a cheap price, but does not have the necessary performance, there will never be a proper economic justification for buying it. For this reason, before buying, consult with reputable and reputable companies that are active in this field and buy with confidence as much as possible.
Common questions about inverter:
What is an inverter in simple words?
Electronic oscillators that can convert direct current to alternating current are called inverters or drives.
What is the use of drives in industry?
In the industry, inverters are used as power supplies and emergency power. Drives are also used to transmit electricity over long distances with minimal energy loss.
What are the advantages of using drive in the industry?
By controlling the speed of the motor, the inverter increases its efficiency and significantly reduces the time of shutdown and removal of devices. Protecting the device’s engine and the possibility of replacing parts during work are other advantages of using drives in the industry.
Note: In order to receive free advice, you can contact us via WhatsApp, consultation request form and other communication methods available on the contact page.